The International Council for Science (ICSU) is recruiting a Communications Intern to support the LIRA 2030 programme, starting as soon as possible.
The intern will be helping to support the LIRA 2030 programme (Leading Integrated Research for Agenda 2030 in Africa). This programme, funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), seeks to develop the potential of next-generation scientists in Africa, in the production and communication of policy-relevant knowledge in the domain of sustainable urban development.
The programme provides two-year collaborative research grants that advance the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goal 11 (sustainable cities and communities) in Africa and that explore the development of new approaches and strategies towards the innovative re-thinking of urban futures – in partnership with local authorities, industry, communities, and government.
The key responsibility of the intern would be to help develop and publish engaging content about the collaborative projects on sustainable urban development across Africa.
The intern will report to the LIRA Science Officer and will work closely with other communications and support staff as well as project leaders across Africa.
- Providing communications support to project leaders in Africa e.g. helping them with writing blogs, project reports etc
- Helping project leaders to reach out to relevant journals in order to publish their work
- Developing new communications activities and materials around the LIRA programme
- Helping to coordinate the scientific review of the proposals received by ISC, for selection for the next trans-disciplinary research training workshop (to be held on 3-7 September)
- Excellent writing skills in English and ability to produce engaging content around complex issues
- Experience in writing about scientific themes
- Keen interest in science communication and research, particularly related to sustainable urban development
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign software is a plus
- Skills in web design, online typography and photography are a plus
Learning experience for the intern:
- Work in an international NGO environment (working language English)
- Participate in the founding General Assembly of the new Council (ISC), at the “Maison des Océans” in Paris (3-5 July)
- Participate in the next LIRA training sessions in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire (3-7 September)
- Science writing
- Production of communication materials
- Learn about research and practices in the domain of sustainable urban development in Africa
- Remuneration: French legal minimum (approximately €550/month + lunch vouchers)
- Hours: full-time (35 hours/week); some remote working is possible
- Applicants must currently be enrolled on a Bachelor’s or Master’s level course, in a relevant discipline, preferably with an international focus
- They must either have EU citizenship or hold a valid French work permit
Applications should include a CV and cover letter (in English) and should to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
The Authority on News, Data and Market Analysis for the African Space Industry.