The University Center for Research and Application in Remote Sensing (CURAT) of Félix Houphouët-Boigny University, under the auspices of the GMES & Africa (Marine) project, invites suitably qualified candidates to apply for a university scholarship in order to obtaining a Master’s degree with specialization in the field of Earth observation (EO) for the management of coastal and marine resources.
The GMES & Africa (Marine) project is being implemented by a consortium of research centers, universities and a regional NGO in West Africa, under the direction of the University of Ghana. The consortium members are:
- University of Ghana – Ghana;
- Ghana Meteorological Agency ‘(G-MET) – Ghana;
- Nigerian Institute for Oceanography and Marine Research (NIOMR) Nigeria;
- University Research Center for Application in Remote Sensing (CURAT) – Ivory Coast;
- Fisheries and Oceans Research Institute of Benin (IRHOB) – Benin;
- Dakar-Thiaroye Oceanographic Research Center (CRODT) – Senegal;
- Instituto Nacional de Desenvolvimento das Pescas (INDP) – Cape Verde;
- Wetlands International Africa (WIA) – Senegal.
The project, has developed EO products and tools for coastal states of ECOWAS for use in environmental management (coastal and marine) and its resources, and is funded by the Commissions of the African Union and the European Union.
As part of this call, the project provides scholarships to graduate students in one of the following countries: Benin, Cape Verde, Côte d’Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Nigeria Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo. The scholarship is valid at the University Felix Houphouet-Boigny (host institution). The successful candidate will undertake project work in a field related to OT under the supervision of an expert from the host institution.
A monthly allowance of 350 EUR per month (candidate from the country) or 450 Euro per month (candidate from the region) is mainly intended to help the successful candidate to finish his Master’s degree in the host institution. Applicants who are already recipients of a scholarship, fellowship or grant must not apply.
- The goal is to sponsor excellent students who are pursuing or intend to pursue a Master’s degree at the Université Félix Houphouët-Boigny. Students who have completed their first year of Master’s degree and who are about to start their second year, or those who have enrolled in a one-year Science Master’s degree are eligible.
- Granting of the scholarship is subject to the condition that the successful candidate is enrolled in a Master’s degree at the University of Félix Houphouët-Boigny, to the extent of his candidacy.
- The Master’s degree program must be in one or more of the following disciplines: Marine Science, Fisheries Science or Coastal Management
- Remote sensing training and knowledge of computer programming would be an advantage.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must submit the documents listed below to the Coordinator no later than May 30, 2019
- Letter of motivation (no more than 2 pages);
- Short proposal for a research project (4 pages);
- Certified transcript and certificate;
- Two (2) letters of recommendation;
- Proof of enrollment in the host institution (except for those who have applied for a one-year science master’s degree and must do so within one month of enrollment)
NB : Incomplete files will be rejected
Prof DJAGOUA Eric
GMES & Africa (Marine, West Africa) – Academic Grant University Research Center for Application in Remote Sensing (CURAT) 22 BP 801 Abidjan 22 / firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com Côte d ‘Ivory
National Technical Assistant
Dr. MOBIO Brice
GMES & Africa (Navy, West Africa) – Academic Grant University Research Center for Application in Remote Sensing (CURAT) 22 BP 801 Abidjan 22 / firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com Côte d ‘Ivory
For further information, please contact the Coordinator.
The Authority on News, Data and Market Analysis for the African Space Industry.