Following the successful 2022-2023 call for research proposals, the EO AFRICA R&D Facility, in collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA) and the African Union Commission (AUC), launched a second call for proposals in September 2022.
Thus, considering aspects such as scientific excellence, innovative use of digital tools, impact on fostering the use of EO data and services in Africa, and geographic representation of Africa, the Committee, in collaboration with ESA and AUC, awarded 17 research projects for funding from 11 African and nine European countries.
The call for proposals was aimed at supporting African-European collaborative efforts to develop innovative, open-source EO algorithms and applications adapted to African solutions for African challenges.
The initiative welcomed proposals focused on the themes of water scarcity and food security expected to create EO algorithms and workflows by leveraging cutting-edge cloud-based data access and computing infrastructure.
The grant provides the selected proposals with the following:
- A budget of up to EUR 25,000 for research activities during a period of 12 months;
- Free access to cloud-based Virtual Research Environments through the Innovation Lab of the Facility;
- Dedicated user and technical support;
- Access to EO AFRICA Space Academy events; and
- Integration into the EO AFRICA Network for international scientific collaboration.