After an intense two days of presentations and discussions, the meeting adopted a new constitution for the African Astronomical Society (AfAS); accepted an offer of the South African government to host a staffed secretariat for the first 3 years; and elected an Executive Committee to take the organisation forward.
The adopted Constitution: AfAS constitution-adopted-26-03-2019
The new members of the AfAS Executive Committee:
- President: Jamal Mimouni (Algeria)
- Vice-President: Lerothodi Leeuw (South Africa)
- General Secretary: Sarah Abotsi-Masters (Ghana)
- Assistant General Secretary: Charles Takalani (South Africa)
- Public Relations and Education Officer: Olayinka Fagbemiro (Nigeria)
- Early Career Representative: Zara Randriamanakoto (Madagascar)
- Additional Member #1: Palesa Nombula (South Africa)
- Additional Member #2: Etsegenet Getachew (Ethiopia)
This Executive Committee has now been entrusted to work hard for the continent and take the African Astronomical Society forward!
For more information, visit Astronomy in Africa 2019 website